- 28. Assassination of Archduke Francis Ferdinand, heir to throne of Austria-Hungary, and his wife at Sarajevo, Bosnia.
- 28. Austria-Hungary declares war on Serbia.
- 29. Russian mobilization ordered.
- 1. Germany declares war on Russia.
- 1. France orders mobilization.
- 2. Germany demands free passage through Belgium.
- 3. Germany declares war on France.
- 3. Belgium rejects Germany's demand.
- 4. Germany at war with Belgium. Troops under Gen. Von Kluck cross border. Halted at Liege.
- 4. Great Britain at war with Germany. Kitchener becomes Secretary of War.
- 5. President Wilson tenders good offices of United States interests of peace.
- 6. Austria-Hungary at war with Russia.
- 7. French forces invade Alsace. Gen. Joffre in supreme command of French army.
- 7. Montenegro at war with Austria.
- 7. Great Britain's Expeditionary Force lands at Ostend, Calais and Dunkirk.
- 8. Serbia at war with Germany.
- 12. Great Britain at war with Austria-Hungary.
- 12. Montenegro at war with Germany.
- 17. Belgian capital removed from Brussels to Antwerp.
- 19. Canadian Parliament authorises raising expeditionary force.
- 20. Germans occupy Brussels.
- 23. Japan at war with Germany. Begins attack on Tsingtau.
- 24. Germans enter France near Lille.
- 25. Austria at war with Japan.
- 26. Viviani becomes premier of France.
- 28. Austria declares war on Belgium.
- 30. Amiens occupied by Germans.
- 31. Russian army of invasion in East Prussia defeated at Tannenberg by Germans under Von Hindenburg.
- 3. Paris placed in state of siege: Government transferred to Bordeaux.
- 6-10. Battle of Marne. Von Kluck is beaten by Gen. Joffre, and the German army retreats from Paris to the Soissons-Rheims line.
- 14. French reoccupy Amiens and Rheims.
- 29. Antwerp bombardment begins.
- 2. British Admiralty announces intention to mine North Sea areas.
- 9. Antwerp surrenders to Germans. Government removed to Ostend.
- 13. British occupy Ypres.
- 14. Canadian Expeditionary Force of 32,000 men lands at Plymouth.
- 15. Germans occupy Ostend. Belgian government removed to Havre, France.
- 5. Great Britain and France declare war on Turkey.
- 5. Cyprus annexed by Great Britain.
- 8. Off the Falkland Isles, British squadron under command of Rear-Admiral Sturdee, sinks three of the German cruisers which had destroyed the Good Hope and Monmouth on Nov. 1. The Dresden escapes.
- 16. German squadron bombards Hartlepool, Scarborough and Whitby on east coast of England.